Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Feb#3: Apple Banana (Manzano Banana)


Having mentioned these in Roy's post, I wanted a quick followup.

These 4" fruits are sweet yet have a slight tartness. The taste has also been compared to a cross between an apple and a very sweet banana. (Manzano is the Spanish name for "Apple".) The plant can reach 12'-14'.

Molly and I had a mind-bendingly delicious fruit smoothie that consisted entirely of frozen manzano bananas run through a juicer. If you're driving north on THE highway on Kauai there is a little fruit stand - STOP THERE! This place makes one style of fruit smoothie per day. They seem to each be composed of one ingredient.

1 comment:

mablasinski said...

Yeah - we had a ton of these in Kona - local farmers markets had them like crazy! You don't happen to know anywhere that sells them locally, do you? I'm looking to have bananas at my recital, but "fun sized" would be a lot more appealing to people than needing to eat a full banana I think....