Thursday, December 18, 2008

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Howdy Folks -

No... I didn't manage to produce a word a week... But a lot of stuff happened since I started this blog - I got my Doctorate, Grant and Erica got married, I got a job, Molly and I moved to Dallas, we had a beautiful baby...

At this late date I'm going to officially sign off leaving you with the posts I made, some correspondence with Pomai of the highly-re-reccomended Tasty Island blog, and my list of notes - a review of the few posts I made... and a list of things to google/wiki/youtube until you get a handle on them... I'll see you in the islands! - Mark

(Note: given the quality of The Tasty Island - these links focus on Kawai locations/foods)

...

li hing mui -posted jan1
macademia nut -posted jan2
Macademia nut icecream -posted jan 3
shave ice -jan4
halo halo -jan5
ube halaya -feb1
Roy's of Hawaii -feb2
apple bananas -feb3
kona brewery -done
http://www.hawaiibusiness.com/Hawaii-Business/November-2007/Brewing-National-Success/ - done
poi -done
pupu (origin of pupu platter) -done
spam -done
ono -done
portuguese bean soup - done
portuguese sweet bread (malassadas) pão doce, - done
miso soup
Chicken Adobo
sweet potatoes
teriyaki (beef, chicken, fish)
ti leaves
taro
poke
mahi mahi
pipikaula
saimin
lu'au
(Taro leaves, often baked with coconut cream and chicken or octopus; the word eventually came to mean a Hawaiian feast, which is also known as 'aha'aina or pa'ina.)
http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/luaurecipes/l/aa041902a.htm
cake- banana, quava, coconut
Chicken Katsu
huli-huli chicken
macaroni salad (island style)
kalua pig
char siu
corn chowder
kulolo
lau lau
lomi lomi salmon
Chicken Lu`au
chicken adobo http://gohawaii.about.com/od/luaurecipes/r/chicken_adobo.htm
Haupia
sushi
Kintaro's
Hanalei Roll
Bali Hi Bomb roll

Whalers Brewpub
waimea brewery

.....

Kintaro’s
4-370 Kuhio Hwy.
Kapaa, HI 96746
Phone: (808) 822-3341
The very best Japanese and sushi restaurant on the island. A local favorite. Also, they have Tempanyaki for an exciting dining experience. You must try the Hanalei Roll or Bali Hai Bomb sushi rolls.

No comments: